Sunday, May 18, 2008

I'm left handed.

No big deal? It was when they tried to make me right handed in grade school- not possible for someone like me- and when I took guitar lessons. Ever tried to play guitar upside down and backwards? Jimi Hendrix (who played left handed) could do it, but he practiced for thousands of hours the normal way first. Not the way to start out. Every day, in ways I hardly notice most of the time, I adjust to a world that's not designed for people like me.

How do you tell the southpaws at a picnic? They instinctively grab the far left seat at the table so their left 
elbow won't constantly collide with the next guy's right.

Ever tried to open the blade(s) of a Swiss Army knife while holding it in your left hand? It can't be done.

Pick up the nearest pen and look at the brand name printed on the barrel. If it's in your right hand it's right side up. If it's in your left it's upside down. I don't really care, 
but it's not done that way by random chance.

Remember those chairs in college with the little desk attached to the arm?
Lots of days I had a sore back because the one left handed one was taken when I got there.

What brings this to mind is the California Supreme Court's decision last week legalizing gay marriage. I think being gay is a lot like being left handed- the causes haven't been identified, you don't get a choice about it, and if you are no amount of societal pressure is going to change 
your basic orientation. 
With a lot of struggle I might learn to write with my right hand, 
but I would never do it
voluntarily or enjoy it. 

What's the point, then, of telling people they shouldn't be gay? If they are they are.
Makes about as much sense-and does about as much good- as telling me to be right handed.

No comments: